Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Google: Friend or Foe?

Google: Friend or Foe? Can my years of experience and schooling be replaced by a single word? Is "google" a word anyway? These are my thoughts as I finish my Master's Degree in Library Science. Am I suffering through my own Industrial Revolution? Am I the horse being replaced by the Model T of thenew millenium - The Google T?

I am one of those people who, for one reason or another, never gets to watch a movie from beginning to end. Many times I am asked "Have you seen such and such movie?" And my standard response is always "yes, I have seen bits (or most) of it" So, as I settled into watch a movie, most of which I have previously seen, my future flashes before me. Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. She plays a libriarian of sorts, a source of all knowledge in an undefined company. His character is set on selling the company an "electronic brain", a new-fangled thing called a computer. So the game is on, man (really woman in this case) versus machine. And, since this is a Hepburn-Tracy movie, it is also man versus woman.

This new fangled machine (which is the size of the space shuttle) is loaded with all sorts of information. However, it is no match for Ms.Hepburn's amazing memory and it short circuits (if that is what computers did in those days). Woman conquers machine and, in the end, man conquers woman. (again, it's Hepburn and Tracy, so what can one expect?)

Now, here's the sad part, although I have seen bits and pieces of this movie over the years (it must be a favorite amongst insomniacs) I never knew its name. Irony of ironies, I Googled.

And in 2.1 seconds I got my answer - "Desk Set"

Katharine would have been disappointed in me. Want to visit Google?
Check it out at www.Google.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home